Sunday, February 21, 2010

Q#5- Should I stay or should I go?

OK, here's question number 5. Should I consider going on a cross country road trip for many months out of my life or should I not waste my time considering it?

Details: A friend of mine, Jeremy, took 6 months out of his life to hit the open road. He is driving around in a mini-van that he sleeps in when he doesn't find a friend or a friend of a friend to stay with. I recommend you take a look at his blog www.jerjourneys.blogspot.com

I have been jealous of him and long to do something similar. Do I give up my apartment for 6 months, find myself a mini-van and do the same? Do I spend time planning a road trip across my country similar in nature and similar to the "escape" I took 6 years ago in Europe? Do I forget the idea of it as a lone woman sleeping in a van in parking lots is a dangerous thing? How much time do I spent planning this, if anything?

Thoughts, oh dear friends of mine?

7 comments:

  1. spend time considering it. you don't really have much of a choice on this one. it's something you are going to consider anyway, so you mind as well spend purposeful time on those thoughts. and make sure your close friends are part of the dialogue! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What were some of the conversation that you had with your close friends that helped you to make that decision? Do you remember any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not in your 'daily' life, so this is really not as informed as I'd usually try for. However...if you can afford it, time and money-wise, do it. Sleeping in a van, well...if you aren't going to freak yourself out with 'what if's?' then I'd say try it. I've not done it regularly, but I've had to take car naps in odd places, and it was fine.

    I know the travel itself won't disturb you, I know you are good at being alone, and finding friends wherever you go.

    So go, do...you are able, and willing.

    Oh, and you HAVE to hit my neck of the woods!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nilliem, you KNOW that if I ever do it, I'll be coming by to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should definitely consider it. There's no such thing as wasting time when you're thinking about following a dream. You could always do shorter road trips as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The final vote is in! (Thank you, Jennifer.) After tallying them all up, I see that the consensus is I at least consider it.

    Consider it I will! A short one weekender soon may give me the taste I need. A big ol' slab of road pie here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On my way off in the middle of tonight! A really short trip to NE to review family history. Off to see where my family first came ashore, the streets they first lived on and the towns they founded. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete